Monday, June 8, 2009

Mandarin Cake






Thanks to Jode Chambers I had an abundance of juicy, sweet home-grown mandies to eat, which inspired this recipe.  Which is... DEAD EASY...

Mandarin Cake
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup flour (I use spelt flour)
1 egg
2-3 mandarin segments (seeds removed)
1 tsp baking soda (I used a cream of tartare allergy sensitive baking powder)
pinch sea salt
2 tbsp oil (macadamia & grape seed are healthy oils for this recipe)
1 tsp vanilla or orange or rose essence (or maybe a little fresh mandarin rind)
Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Mix all ingredients, mashing the mandarin, and pour into a 20cm greased pan. Bake for 30-35 mins.
Optional topping:
2 tbsp firmly packed brown sugar and 2 tsp milk heated to the boil and drizzled over the cake. Add rind for taste and decoration. I found a little butter was just as delicious.
If you try the recipe take a photo and let me know how it goes...

No comments: